Sunday, July 1, 2007

It's a doggy-dog day

10 hours in the Youth Park open theatre taking care of 7 dogs has left me completely exhausted, as well as has given me a permanant dog scent. I'm telling ya... after a long bath, I still smell dogs...

What a day! It was absolutely tiring, but absolutely fun at the same time.

Sadly, I didn't get to see much of the activities of this one-day camp. The only things I saw were Aunty Rosy's dog demonstration and the PAA (Penang Dog Agility somethin' or other...) dog show. I didn't even get to see the other booths! For 90% of the time, I was confined at the back field, taking care of the dogs. I never had a pet dog in my life, and today, I have spent more time with dogs than I ever did for the past 15 years of my life. Needless to say, I got to know them all pretty well.

Jessica and I car-pooled there and we were the first to arrive. Within the next few minutes, we were joined by Huey Tien (another volunteer same age as us) and her dog, Bridget. We played our part in the food chain by being the mosquitoes' early breakfast feast. Tricia came soon after that and we had to set up the tables and hang the signs, banners and all that what nots. (Climbing again... as if Ms Koay's curtain torture yesterday wasn't enough...)

Tricia and I paired up on the Std Six Registration while Jess took Std Four. Not much to say here, just the usual 'banyak udang, banyak garam, banyak orang, banyak ragam' kinda thing with the parents and their kids. Quite a scare though, it rained for quite awhile. But thank goodness it was sunny for the rest of the day.

Then, onwards to the canine station. The dogs from the SPCA hadn't arrived yet, so we just played with Bridget, and fed the mosquitoes even more. Later, we got to watch Aunty Rosy and her dog tricks, but had to leave halfway. The dogs had arrived.

Throughout the day, Tricia, Jess, Huey Tien, Eunice (Carmen's sister) and me were baby-sitting the dogs as group after group of kids came to see, pet, and feed them. It was fun at first, but by the 4th group, the dogs and us were kind of tired out... Jess got to go to the reptile station, where she got to hold a boa 15 times... which was, in her words, 'The happiest moment of my life!' Which I rolled my eyes at... but then, I don't have her affinity for reptiles, so I can't talk... :-P

It was super fun in some ways. We got to go into the enclosements and control the dogs... and get licked all over. And we introduced them to the kids as if we had known them all our lives when it was just a few hours... :-P We also had to keep them hydrated (not easy, I tell you, seeing they're always playing around and upsetting their water bowls...) . But the least glamorous of all, is of course scooping up their poop with a cangkul and dustpan. Hahaha... but hey, that's an all rounded package if you have a pet to be responsible for, right?

At the end of the day, when we were all smelly and fur invested, we had to pack the dogs off back to the SPCA and take down the enclosements. After cleaning up everything we were supposed to, it was homeward bound... to my Tree painting... and here I am. I'm going to bed directly after this... yes... I'm aware that would be around 9pm. And I don't care. Why, oh why, is there school tomorrow...

So, before I sign off, let me introduce you to the seven fellows that made today such a great joy.


-Bridget- (Huey Tien's dog)

The friendly fellow who bounces up to greet you, but barks alot at the other dogs.






















-Limou and Ivory- Two of the more active ones that loves to pick a fight with the others.






-Mocha-
Another hyper one. Loves sticks and grass... But hey, what else did he have to play with anyway...





















-Skylar-
Jessica's baby. Quiet fellow. But she wasn't feeling well for awhile. Kept coughing. The coolest thing about her is that one eye's brown while the other's blue.

And my FAVORITE!!!














Meet Holly. The baby of the lot. So sweet and cuddly. And Tricia and I were absolute beasts to it, making it wake up when it wanted to sleep... and videotaping it! (I'll find a way to post it here. It's hilarious!) Well, Tricia more than me... Hehe...

Not to mention, it reminds me alot about Danny's dog on CSI NY... *grins* You know me...



















And check out how photogenic Tricia and Holly are together!




























Getting seriously sleepy now. Til next year, at SPCA children's educational camp 2008!
WUFF!

6 comments:

Esther said...

waaa.. i saw the video d.. lolx! dat was da funniest thing i'd seen a dog do b4! and she's just and angel.. but hey, juz be satisfied with holly!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just got off tuition.

Holly *toot*! The dogs are so cute! I mean, so unfair! Next time must call me wan! I want to go also! *whines*

Anyway, I guess you guys had a lot of fun. =D Gotta go do Maths homework now. As usual, the procrastinator. LOL See you in school!

Bye! *waves*

Anonymous said...

IT's ABOUT TIME YOU MOVED YOUR LITTLE BUTT TO BLOGGER OR SOMETHING ELSE OTHER THAN FRIENDSTER. WAHAHAHA!

If I'm still using Blogger I'd say welcome to Blogspot! But this is one step to becoming a serious blogger. Have fun customizing - if you ever need any help with CSS codes - just holler! Maybe I'll see you at Wordpress one day. LOL

questmaster said...

guess what? I finally added a comment!! Skylar's just so sweet, but it's a tough choice between her and the snake :P reptiles rule, btw ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, don't know if you have seen this but check this out. http://www.fanforum.com/f110/carmine-giovinazzo-danny-messer-8-because-screaming-fangirls-never-lie-hes-fine-62794148/
Carmine at Fanforums. :)

Anonymous said...

fern, oh fern...

HOLLY'S WHINING

*oowwwwwww..... oww ow*