Saturday, March 21, 2009

Getting 'Retricked'

So, who knew for sure that 'retricked' is not an actual word? All of you did? Good! Why didn't you tell me a week ago?!
Of course, you needn't tell me that if I was not so blur as to think it was an actual word... it cost me about 82 friggin' points! Bleh... Sthooopid (re: Post on Prefects Camp)!!

I'm talking about the Scrabble competition last week. All in all, it was seriously fun -geek-. Although by the end of the day, we were all pretty knocked out. Who wouldn't be after 6 games?

We were matched according to our spreads. I did pretty good for the first 3 games, got trashed on my fourth game and everything pretty much went downhill from there. XD My fourth game was against Ms. Retricked. 'Dang it, girl, I gotta shake your hand. You re-tricked me!' -curses stupidity- I went from a positive spread to negative in that one game. Trust me, you don't want to know anymore than that. My opponent meanwhile, went on to win first place. Haha. I hope she remembers my contribution to her. She owes me biiiiiiiiiig time.

But anyway, Xin Fang placed no. 5, which is awesome because she will get to represent Penang at national level later on. The others also did great. It was indeed an interesting experience, as we got to meet and play against all kinds of people with different habits when it comes to playing.

And of course, there's that adrenaline rush whenever one tries to play nonsense words, whether intentionally or otherwise.

There is a certain air of vindication whenever one gets challenged on a word that one knows exist.
A: -places word 'Lavalava'-
B: -eyes you suspiciously- Challenge.
A: Sure. No problem... -Struts confidently to computer and hides a smirk when word is accepted-
B: -completely baffled- 'Lavalava?????'

Of course, it sucks when you think it exists, when it actually doesn't...
B: Challenge.
A: Sure. No problem.
B: -types word into computer- Not accepted.
A: WHAT??!! But... but... I thought... but... WHAT?!!! -sigh- -walks over and removes letters from the board dejectedly-

But sometimes one doesn't get challenged at all.
A: -Places 'ac' on the board- -stares at opponent, ready to be challenged-
B: -Goes on with his turn-
A: -Heaves a very silent, but very big sigh of relief- 'Sucker... -snicker-'

Then there's that obligation on ethics when it comes to being fair when using the clock.
-B doesn't press the clock eventhough it's A's turn-
A: 'Hmmm. Tell or don't tell? It's his own fault for not realising it... Hmmm... I'll just wait a moment more... Ladeedadeda' -takes own sweet time shuffling tiles-

At the end of the day, our minds were so 'scrabbled' that nothing but Scrabble tiles and Scrabble boards loomed in front of our eyes.

"Time to go home."
"Home... H-O-M-E. Home. 9 points..."

But heck, I wouldn't mind doing this all over again. :-)

3 comments:

Tysle said...

Haha. Good to hear you had fun during the competition anyways :D

questmaster said...

wish I could've played lavalava. ahh... your opponent would've thrashed anyone. you missed one scenario, the one I had with ms. what-do-you-mean-iq-isn't-a-word?

A: /places 'dirk'
B: /triumphant smirk/ challenge.
A: ... you sure? it's a kind of weapon.
B: haven't heard of it before.
A: suit yourself. /checks 'dirk'/
B: /speechless/

or how about
A: /places IQ/
B: no such word.
A: yes there is.
B: /long-suffering sigh/ no, I challenge. /checks 'IQ'/
A: what the... /valley girl voice/ that is so weird!

or how about
A: /places 'spew', know-it-all smirk/ you want to challenge?
B: ... /rolls eyes/ no, it means to regurgitate or spray something out, right?
A: ... you're okay with it?
B: /heaves another sigh/ yeah, I'm cool with spew. /undertone: jerk./

I think you can tell that fern's the more sporting player. rofl.

SYmPLiMe said...

mauhahaha..
6 scrabble games in a day.. good.!
i had 4 debates in uia!
TERRIBLE!!!
and the room for our debate was 15 minutes walk..
jeez..

*havent done debate's report..reza shall chop me into pieces!*