Wednesday, July 1, 2009

NS... Kena tak Kena

The school was all abuzz today. For the first time, Michael Jackson's death was not the topic everyone was talking about. (Rest in Peace, King of Pop.)
Instead, every Fifth Former was asking every other Fifth Former they met:

"Did you check ledi?"
"Send in SMS... can check ledi..."
"What???!! It's out??!!!!"
"So-and-so kena you know! Hahaha...."
"Don't laughlah! Why I so suay (Hokkien for 'unlucky') wan..."

That's right. The list of 'lucky' 1992 kids chosen for NS is out and available for checking.

It's quite interesting to me. Even as late as the past week, NS meant nothing much to me. To me, it was "Oh, NS... okay..." It's one of those things that I just never thought much about. And somewhere, in the depths of my mind, I had this weird feeling of acceptance that I'll never get chosen for it... No idea why... it was just there.

So today I found out a bunch of my friends like PC, Xin Fang and Esther got chosen. Once I got into the car, I told my parents, "Hey, guess what? So-and-so got NS..."

And my dear mum said, "Really? So did you!"

-Stunned silence-

"WHAT??!!"

"Yah! I saw the article in the newspaper this morning and I kay-po mah, so I smsed in loh..." she handed me the phone showing the message.

'Tahniah. Selamat Maju Jaya.'

Oh. Har dee har... Was that the depths of my mind rolling around in laughter over the irony of it all?

I came online to check the website and boom... there it was again. 'Tahniah. Selamat Maju Jaya.'
Yeah, yeah, yeah... thank you... :P

I'm more shocked than anything. I know a lot of people dread finding out they were chosen. But after surfing around online, it is quite clear that the ex-NS trainees did really enjoy themselves there.

Two of my cousins went for it before, Vern (Kooky Jar) included. And after reading around many blogs, I see that it really isn't something to be miserable about after all. In fact, it does sound quite fun and it is really a once in a lifetime experience. Provided none of that NS camp 'horror stories' happen lar, of course... :P -choi choi touch wood-

We'll see how things go... muahahaa.... :-B

6 comments:

Esther said...

Hello, fellow 'sui' classmate of mine, I'm just glad there's a long(?) time for us to decide if we're going or not.

Tysle said...

Hahahah!

I like how you found out about getting selected for NS after you started rattling off to your mother about other "lucky" ones in our class. xD

Selamat maju jayalah, dear.
Do, Do, DO meet up with me once you get back from NS. I'd love to hear what you have to tell your experience in NS.

And yes, if you're wondering, I will come to see you off at the bus station if I can. ;)

Anonymous said...

lololol *touch wood* May the force be with us.

Amanda said...

haha... We will all be fine. Well, at least I hope so. =)

Amanda said...

Oh yea, and we get to experience shooting from a real M16 gun which how many teenagers can you find to even hold a real gun before?! Wakakaka...

SYmPLiMe said...

hahahahahahahahaha
huey fern ar...
PADAN MUKA !!!
lol

*i oso get ma...ciz*
"LUCKY" maria..
lol..
so, funny..i was just like u..
didnt believe the sms system, so went online to check..
my classmates so evil wan.. they put my name in the "infected by the PLKN" list..
i was the only one until...
jengjengjeng..
4 from my class are chosen n i'm the ONLY GIRL!!!!

but good oso ma..
bila lagi mau pegang M16?
yeayyy...!!!