Sunday, January 17, 2010

I feel...

LOVE...

... for my parents, more than ever before.
Ok, I've always been the kind of person who was very close to my parents. I was never the uh... 'stereotypical' teenager who argued and screamed at her parents over the tiniest matters, for which I'm thankful for every single day. Heck, I don't think I even know of any teenagers who actually fit that stereotype except for on the TV. Boo to stereotypes XD. *thinks for a moment* Ok, wait, maybe I do... :P

But I digress...

Of course, there were those occasional times where I got irritated at my parents for who-knows-what reasons. But there were never any shouting matches or anything of that sort. The days leading up to packing up for college left me irritated more often than usual with the usual parental advice, lessons, *cough* nagging *cough*.

But once they left home for Penang and left me semi-alone in KL, I finally realised how much I love them. Not a day went by without me thinking of them. For the past week, I won't deny it, it had been quite bad. You have no idea how bad it got. Let's just say I was definitely not my usual self. It was through this past week I realised how much they were part of my life, and how much I appreciate and love them. Obviously, we never know what we've got with us until it's taken away from us.

LOVE...
... for the internet, phones and all other general communication devices.
Thanks to these technological marvels, I can at the very least exchange an sms with mum every morning. Mummy's sweet words of encouragement and love were the perfect start to the day while her emails and our conversations on Skype were the perfect end to the day.

LOVE...
... for my room mate.
Gosh, could I ever ask for more in a room mate? She's there to make me laugh, to comfort me when I'm feeling down and to be my constant companion so there is never a dull moment. The past week could have been a lot worse had she not been there. We talk non stop, traverse KL city together and try (with not much success) to keep each other from reverting back to our usual procrastinating habits...

LOVE...
... for my other family members.
Thanks for all those messages of 'how are you doing' and 'call if you ever need anything'. They mean so much to me.

LOVE...
... for campus life.
Well, sort of... The course work is quite heavy. All the lecturers go "I don't mean to scare you, but..." Sigh.
But I like it because of the fun atmosphere. The lecturers are all very fun and welcome everyone's opinions. Classes are fun because everyone has something to contribute, something to say. It is so different from previous schooling life, where no one dared/wanted/bothered to open their mouths in class (except when the teacher is not inside, of course. XD)

One week in college. There were plenty of down moments, thanks to the fact that I'm such a home-body... harhar. And there were plenty of up moments as well. At the end of the day, I'd take it. Ups and downs and everything in between.

It's all part of the learning experience. Being away from home, no more mummy to wash your clothes for you, no more mummy to make sure you eat a well balanced diet everyday, no more daddy to drive you all over the place. No more being a person who didn't have anything to worry about, other than to go to school and study hard and play hard. Now, we still have to do that, plus worry about all the things above.

Here's to another week in college, where the work load will get heavier, the homesickness will get lighter (hopefully) and I will be able to embrace the life I'm living to the fullest.
Oh, and I'm celebrating my 18th birthday this week. Away from home. :( Ah well....... Ups and downs. ;)

Better get down to getting some reading done for class tomorrow. :P
It's our first practical class for chem and bio, which means, I get to wear a very cool lab coat and goggles, which I get to wear in the way Danny Messer did before he stopped wearing his glasses. Jolene, you know what I mean... muahahahahahaha!!!

5 comments:

Jolene said...

Awwww... Love reading your posts cause they are so SWEET! :) And also because they serve as a reminder that i really really need to update my dead-beyond-revival bloggie XP
AHA!! I absolutely know what you mean! XD Muahahaha...Too bad the lab coat doesn't read CSI:NY, LOL! I sorta miss Danny's glasses now that they have been MIA for so long XD

Tysle said...

try (with not much success) to keep each other from reverting back to our usual procrastinating habits...

~~~~~
Hey, we're not doing too bad okay? xD

tiffanywernyi said...

hey fern! ive come to invade ur blog! muahahaha =P

tiffany ling

questmaster said...

I have just come to know quite a few who fit that first stereotype you described. nice post though ^^ <3
p.s. I just got 'hanon' as my captcha word. it's a sign that I should practise more piano. LOL.

Jonietoh said...

Dear hfern,

I feel the same too,sometimes when i feel irritated at my parents,i somehow think and feel how bad i am and wrong of me to lose my patience just because they are just concern abt you...sigh...i'm still trying to be extremely patient with them,like not getting easily irritated when they give some casual remarks...lectures and naggings...